Improving Public Sector Management Skills through Building Training and Research Capacity of the State Academy for State and Social Construction under the President of Uzbekistan
The Academy for State and Social Construction was established to prepare civil servants for managerial positions in central and local government. The Academy, to which the admission is highly competitive, enjoys support from many partners. Professors from national and foreign universities, as well as ambassadors and high level experts are regularly invited to give lectures and offer training for middle-level managers and young entrepreneurs aspiring for a career in the public sector.
UNDP further strengthens the capacity of the Academy, by introducing innovative methodologies and concepts, as well as promoting learning from other reputable institutions.
The project focuses on the following areas:
- Improvement of the curriculum;
- Exposure of students to best international practices;
- Training of the faculty in key areas such as policy advice, human development;
- Improvement of research capacity through individual projects;
- Introduction of a course on Human Development;
- Wider use of information technology in delivering courses.
Achievements & expected results
- An improved role in introducing positive changes in public administration. International best practices and national expertise will be incorporated in the curriculum;
- High-quality Master's classes on policy advise, international relations, management and governance issues are given by eminent experts;
- A course on Human Development providing a holistic approach to socio-economic development;
- A new subject on “ICT for development” and educating senior civil servants on management tools and elements of e-governance;
- Closer cooperation with other leading public administration institutions and promoting exchange programs;
- A library and resource center supplied with latest materials, to provide opportunities for independent study, research and distance-learning.