Budget System Reform in Uzbekistan
Within the reform program that is currently under implementation, the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan has set itself all-encompassing goals for the achievement of structural and institutional changes that require significant financial resources, on the one hand, and efficient system of distribution and use, on the other. Efficient and transparent management of the budget system becomes an important tool to address these problems in this context.
Since 2007 UNDP has been supporting the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan in reforming the public finance system. In particular, initiatives aimed at improving the legislative framework of budget process, the methodology of planning and execution of the state budget, accounting and auditing, tax administration reform and development of the institutional environment of the insurance market as well as improving human resource capacity of the Ministry of Finance were successfully implemented under the project, which came to an end in June 2010.
The goal of the Budget System Reform Project is to continue assisting the Government in further enhancing the capacity in the area of reforms focused on achieving greater effectiveness, accountability, and transparency of the budget preparation system.
This goal will be achieved through analytical work on the various aspects of budget policy improvement, facilitating discussions, drafting and adopting legislative acts to promote reforms for implementing results-based budgeting and medium-term budget planning, improving legal and regulatory framework to ensure efficient and transparent state procurements, strengthening human resource capacity for implementing envisioned reforms.
• Supporting the development of legal framework to enhance the public finance management reform;
• Promoting the introduction of Results-Based Budgeting and Strategic Planning on the Level of Ministries/Budget Recipients;
• Facilitating the improvement of the public procurement system and assisting in the development
of appropriate legislative framework;
• Further enhancing fiscal decentralization through improving intergovernmental fiscal
relations, capacity building and developing incentives at the local level;
• Introducing the concept of gender budgeting;
• Institutional strengthening of the Training Center under the Ministry of Finance and enhancing human resource capacity for the implementation of reforms.
Achievements & expected results
•Draft of Budget Code
• Concept of Law on Public Procurement
• Roster of expenditure authorities
• The methodology of interbudgetary income and expenditure balancing
• Draft guidelines for the preparation of medium-term strategies at the level of ministries /of budget recipients
• Methodology for assessing and forecasting the tax potential of the regions, as well
• as regional indices of budget expenditures are composed
• The draft methodology for apportioning targeted subsidies
• Initial analysis of the gender sensitivity of the state budget based on Jizzakh region
• Equipping Training Centre of the Ministry of Finance with distance learning system, programs and methods