Sharing experience of Zaamin tourism with other regions of Uzbekistan
United Nations Development Programme "Local Governance Support Project: Participation and Partnership" (hereafter LGSP) attended a conference on "Prospects of Tourism Development Capacity of Navoi region", organized by the Commission of the Senate of Oliy Majlis of Uzbekistan on assistance to strengthening the activities of representative bodies of local councils, Council of Deputies of Navoi region and the “Uzbektourism” National Company.
The Conference was held within the framework of implementation of Action Plan of the Cabinet of Ministers of Uzbekistan "On development of tourism and export capacity of tourism services in Navoi region during 2011-2012".
The event was also attended by members of the relevant Committees of Senate and Legislative Chamber of Oliy Majlis of Uzbekistan, representatives of several ministries and agencies, heads of Khokimiyat and the Standing Committee of the Council of People's Deputies of Navoi region, representatives of tourist companies operating in Tashkent, Navoi, Samarkand and Bukhara regions, as well as non-governmental organizations and mass media. List of participants have been elaborated with active involvement of the LGSP project.
Participants of the Conference emphasized the great tourism capacity of Navoi region. Its unique geographical location in the central part of Uzbekistan, availability of numerous sites of historical values (ancient mosques, palaces, caravanserais, unique rock carvings and petro-glyphs), favorable climatic conditions create opportunities for the development of various types of tourism, in particular eco-tourism, extreme, rock, ethno-tourism, etc.
Created in 2008 the Free Industrial Economic Zone (FIEZ) in Navoi and the modern innovative and industrial, transport and logistics, social and recreational infrastructure formed based on FIEZ will promote the establishment of a regional center of international business and tourism in Navoi region.
Speaking at the Conference, the acting Chairman of "Uzbektourism" National Company Mr.Temirhodzhaev A.P. and Khokim of Navoi region Mr.Turdimov E.O. briefed about the concrete results of ongoing large-scale works in the field of tourism. In particular, the Council on Tourism Development, chaired by the Khokimiyat of Navoi region was established, a special Action Programme was developed, under which funds to restore several historical monuments were attracted, new hotels, recreational and tourist centers were constructed, modern tourist buses were acquired.
One of the memorable moments of the event was the presentation of the LGSP entitled "The model of tourism development in the rural area in the example of Zaamin district, Jizzakh region", which aroused great interest among the participants.
The LGSP Project Manager Mr.Isroilov D.Sh. familiarized the participants with the main objectives and tasks of the Project, and demonstrated new forms of effective management of recreational resources in the example of Zaamin.
Participants were informed that the LGSP developed the Joint Action Plan in collaboration with the Khokimiyat of Jizzakh region and Resorts Department at the Council of Trade Unions Federation of Uzbekistan. Under the Joint Action Plan a Sectorial analysis of tourism capacity of Zaamin district was conducted, the existing problems were identified, as well as several measures to strengthen the capacity of guest houses, sanatorium and boarding houses were taken. Moreover, a video-clip about Zaamin and original logo type were created, several activities were carried out to popularize Zaamin in tourism sector.
The LGSP put forward proposals on the Draft of Final Resolution of the Conference as a recommendation for increasing the effectiveness of measures and activities in tourism development in Navoi region. In particular:
- Including into the tasks of the Working group the performance of Sectorial analysis to determine the countries of origin of tourists, as well as category of potential tourists (as per sex, age, education level and interests, etc.);
- Partnering international organizations, along with ministries and agencies, as they may render assistance in studying international experience in development of tourism;
- Identifying the branding campaign with development of logotype, slogan, advertising video of both Navoi region and particular cities and districts with further promotion of brands in social networks (Facebook, Twitter) as one of the most important measures in propagation of the tourism potential of Navoi region among investors and tour operators;
- Developing interesting informative and entertaining programs for tourists, based on local folklore, customs and traditions;
- Creating guest houses as main sites of tourist infrastructure in accordance with the Law “On family entrepreneurship” and studying the similar experience of LGSP in Zaamin district of Jizzakh region.
At the end of the Conference the Final Resolution of the Conference on further development of tourism capacity of Navoi region was adopted. The MPs of Legislative Chamber of Oliy Majlis agreed to have a meeting with the LGSP representatives to join efforts in addressing the issues of ICT introduction, development of tourism, etc.