Democratic Governance (DG) Programme of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has a task of promoting good governance including a wide range of activities. Through its projects, DG is working towards developing capacity of national institutions in Uzbekistan, promoting accountability and transparency, providing policy advice to national partner institutions, and improving citizens' access to public, social and legal services.
DG focuses on raising public awareness on international human rights principles and enhancing the population's access to justice by developing a stronger understanding of national legislation and international human rights standards and gender equality. To strengthen the quality of available legal services, particularly to the most vulnerable groups of population, the unit works on the improvement of the legislative framework and harmonizing domestic legislation with international commitments as well as raising capacity of legal specialists.
Democratic Governance Programme in Uzbekistan is working in three branches of power - Executive, Legislative and Judiciary and separately on strengthening civil society in partnership with the following implementing agencies:
- Executive: "Local Governance Support: Participation and Partnership" - Cabinet of Ministers of Uzbekistan;
- Legislative: "Parliamentary Development Assistance" - Parliament;
- Judiciary: "Access to Justice: Reform of Civil Courts" (pipeline-Supreme Court);
- Strengthening Civil Society: "Inclusive Employment and Social Partnership" - Ministry of Labor of Uzbekistan, civil society organizations, trade unions;
- Health: "Continuing Scale Up of the Response to HIV with Particular Focus on Most At Risk Populations and strengthening system and capacity for universal access to HIV prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care in Uzbekistan". Responsible parties: The project will be implemented in close coordination with all national and international partners working in the area of HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment. including Ministry of Health, The Republican Aids Centre, National Reference Laboratory, Republican Center for Postgraduate Studies for nurses, Scientific Institute for Blood transfusion and hematology, Regional training center on HIV treatment care and support, NGO Istiqboli Avlod, NGO Eskulap, NGO Rural Women, NGO Association of Reproductive Health of Uzbekistan, Social Initiatives Supported Fund, Anticancer, Peritechnology, NGO Sen yolg'iz emassan, Women`s Committee of Uzbekistan, Kamolot, UNICEF, UNAIDS, Tashkent Institute for Advanced Medical Training, Republican Scientific Centre for Dermatology and Venerology, and National Institute of Pediatrics.